Info: For more information about Subscription see Community / Subscription. If you have any questions regarding Subscription or want to set this service up on your BLOX website contact your Regional Sales Representative.
This service provides an integration with Advanced Publishing Technology (APT)'s Falcon circulation management software, which enables management of all aspects of circulation from single copy and delivery services to internet access. On user authentication (when a user logs in to the BLOX site), BLOX queries the APT system to determine if the user has authorization to view the restricted content. If they do the user immediately gains access. If not, they are directed to the APT system for purchase.
For more information about APT's Falcon Circulation software, visit: http://www.advpubtech.com/product-circulation.php
Generally with integrations between BLOX and various Circulation systems there are three points of integration.
- Immediate access for existing users - With all of these integrations there is a check that happens every time the user logs in to determine if that user has an active subscription that will provide access to the content they are attempting to view. If it is determined that the user does have an active account that provides access the user is immediately granted access and is not bothered with any paywall notifications.
- Links directly into Purchase workflow of the circulation system - Anywhere that a service or list of services is displayed on a BLOX site, a link is provided into the Circulation system portal to facilitate purchase or account management.
- Once the use is on the portal site for the circulation system, various functionally for purchasing a subscription and or user account disambiguation is provided.
- Once the user has either found their account or purchased a new subscription, they are directed back to an activation endpoint in the BLOX system so that they can be automatically given the appropriate permissions and immediately directed back to the content the user had initially been viewing when encountering the paywall.
- Single Sign on for account management - With these integrations a link is provided that provide direct access into the account management portal of the Circulation system for the user without having to provide additional login credentials.
EDIT SERVICE TABS
Each service has three to five tabs, depending on the type of service:
- Service Information (all service types) – used for declaring service type, naming the service, entering a notification email, giving it a description, and entering in any help text.
- Configure (all service types) – configuration options for the service, dependent on service type.
- Domains (Domain service type only) – used for entering the Domain address(es) for which bulk subscription access has been purchased (only applicable for Domain service types).
- Rule Profile (all service types) – A rule profile is a set of subscription rules such as section restrictions that can be assigned to one or more services. We have created a new rule profile for each of your services as part of the migration to the new rules profile feature. Changing multiple services to use a single profile will streamline your subscription rules workflow. We recommend that you review your profiles and consolidate them if possible. Once you have consolidated them you can delete the ones you aren't using.
- CSV Viewer (CSV verification service type only) –
- Purchase Rates (CSV verification, Domain & Subscription service types) – This is where different subscription rates and terms are set up.
- Analytics (all service types) –
Service Information displays the ID, Service type, Display Priority, Name, Notification Email, Description, Help Text, and Service Flags.
- ID: Once Save or Save and close is selected, the system will automatically assign a unique ID number to the service. This service ID will be referenced in notification emails and in the data/feeds FTP directory.
NOTE: Each service requires different pieces of information to be entered before you can save it. If you try to save the service without the proper information a warning or error popup should tell you what's missing.
- Permit Linked Accounts: This setting allows the subscriber to share their subscription with family and friends. This box will only be visible if your publication has activated this feature in Community / Subscription / Application settings / Linked Accounts.
INFO: For more information about Linked Accounts see Quick Start Guide: How To Set Up and Use Linked Accounts in Subscription.
- Require Delivery Addr.: This box should be checked if all subscribers must provide a delivery address. If this box is checked and there is no delivery address associated with the account in the CSV file, the account will not be activated.
- Service type: This is set automatically when you create the account. There are several available service types in BLOX CMS: APT Falcon, CSV verification, Domain, DSI, Free, iServices, Mediaspan, Subscription.
- Display Priority: This setting is used to sort the order the services appear on the front end of the site. The higher the display priority number the higher in the list the service will appear. If no display number is entered the services will be listed in alphabetical order.
- Name: The name for your service is a required field. You want to name your service something that makes sense to the users of your site (examples: Online Subscriber Access, Print Subscriber Access, Free 14 Day Trial). The name of the service will show on the front end to users.
INFO: Service names can be up to 255 characters. Any name over that limit will throw an error.
- Notification Email: You may enter up to three email addresses (separated by commas) that will receive an email notification when A) a change is made to the CSV file in a CSV Validation service and B) a user subscribes to the service.
INFO: For more information see Notification Email.
- Description: The description field is not a required field but should generally be used, as it will display for the users of the site. In most cases, you'll want to provide the users with a description of the service they are purchasing.
- Help Text: The help text field will be displayed on the subscription page after the user logs in and selects the service. This field can give your subscribers more detailed information and instructions on how to sign up for a service. It can be especially useful for CSV verification services if you need to instruct your customers how to reference validation fields. This field does support HTML code.
- Service Flags
- Disabled: If checked, the service will be completely disabled. The associated transactions will still remain, but the service will not be visible on the front end, and it will display in the admin with gray text.
- Hidden: If checked, the service will remain active but not display on the front end. This means that the URLs that are blocked by this service will still continue to be blocked, but users will not be able to sign up for this service to gain access.
- Notices: When checked, users subscribed to this service will be sent notices that their subscription is about to expire, and when it has expired.
- Receipts: When checked, users will receive an email receipt on subscription purchase and renewal.
- Test Mode: If checked, every transaction gets marked as a test transaction in the transactions list. (For more information on the Transaction log, see the Transactions Overview below.) If a payment handler is set up and configured, such as PayPal or Authorize.net, it will run the transaction through the payment handler's test processor but not actually take any money.
CONFIGURE CUSTOM PROPERTY
Each service has the option to accept custom properties on the bottom of Configure. To add a Custom Property, click the Add button. To delete a custom property, click Remove. There are three additional Custom Properties available:
- purchase_success_heading: - defines the header text that will display at the top of the service.
- purchase_success_text: - defines the sub heading text that will display below trial information / above the details.
- purchase_success_details: - 'true/false' determines whether the print button and tables of details will display (defaults to true on all services except for free which sets to false.
Note: For a list of available (Zen) custom properties, see Subscription URL Custom Properties (Zen only).
Rule Profile sets which pages are behind a paywall. Readers will not be able to access the URLs covered by that particular rule profile unless they are signed up for a particular service that protects that URL. You can have multiple services covering URLs and the reader will only need purchase access to one service. Simply select the radio button that corresponds to the rule profile you wish to employ. If you hover over a rule profile a bubble will appear that shows you what URLs that profile restricts.
INFO: For more information see To create a new Rule Profile.
- Quick Start Guide - Create a Subscription
- Subscription Workspace
- Subscription Application Settings
- Setting Up Payment Handlers
- Setting Up Recurring Payments
- Subscription URL Custom Properties (Zen only)
- Subscription Service Custom Properties
- Subscription Pro - AAM Tracking Beacon
- Utility: Subscriber Services (Zen only)
- Utility: Subscription Service List (Zen only)