Table of Content
Total CMS is used to manage print publication pages that are created in Adobe InDesign software. TownNews.com uses a proprietary software interface (plugin) for InDesign to interface with Total CMS. Output Methods, stored in an .xml file, serve as the conduit (or connection) to BLOX Total CMS Admin where InDesign Settings are set, and PageTracker and Assignments are accessed and managed. If a Hosted BLOX CMS platform exists, the e-Editions that are created in PageTracker, are transferred to the Hosted platform (website) via Syndication or Site Tags.
This document addresses the Assignments application.
The Assignments application is found in the Total CMS admins; both Hosted (Blue box) and Appliance (Gray box). From the dropdown menu in the upper left corner, go to Editorial / Assignments.
Assignments work with Page Tracker and Work Flows. The Assignment application is a tool for an Editor to create a task (Assignment) and list elements (instructions) on how they want the Assignment done. For example, an Editor can create an assignment for a Journalist to go out and cover a school event, as well as including an additional assignment to take photographs of the event.
Click on the Create Assignment button. This opens up the Assignment Creation Wizard.
If you wish to create an Assignment manually (perhaps after you've used the Wizard a few times and are comfortable with what to enter), click on the Skip Wizard button. You'll get the Asset Creation Edit window below. Otherwise, proceed with the Wizard.
On the first screen of the Wizard, fill in the General information for the Assignment.
Enter an Assignment Title. This field is required.
Select the Assignment Type (article or media).
- When an assignment type of Article is selected, it creates an empty article asset with a Slug and the Depth but the Asset won't have content yet (empty asset).
- When an assignment type of Media is created, it creates an empty image asset, again as a placeholder.
Enter the Slug. Note that slugs must be all lower case and no spaces. You can use hyphens (-) or underscores (_) to separate words.
A Description is optional, but helpful to describe any specific details of the assignment (ie. make sure to interview John Doe at event).
Click Next when done.
Select the Workflow you're working from and the Process this Assignment should be in. Here is where you also assign the User who is responsible for the Assignment and the Due Date. Click Next.
The Publication is required. This screen is building out a portion of the Budget information. Edition, Zone, and Plate may not be active depending on your site's setup. However, you need to select the papers Section, enter the Page, and the Assigned Depth Count. Click Next.
This is Venue/Event Details. If this applies, fill out the fields accordingly. Click Next.
This is Event Contact information. If this applies, fill out the fields accordingly. Click Next.
Next, Set Sections to the Assignment. Click on the Set Sections button.
The Select Sections window opens so you can make those selections. Once done, click on Add Sections. You will return to the previous screen when this window closes. Click Next.
This is for Child Related Image assets. If the assignment requires photography, check the Include Photo Assignment checkbox. Then fill in the Photo Assignment information fields. When done, click Create Assignment.
Now in Editorial / Assignments, you'll see not only the Article asset, but the Image asset as well (created by checking the Include Photo Assignment checkbox). These are empty (placeholder) assets.
Note: You may need to click on the Reset button under Search Terms to refresh your screen.
Open the Article asset assignment for proofing and editing. About editing Assignments:
- Title and Slug - These should be left alone at this point but they can be modified. This would likely be an editor's decision.
- Due Date/Time - These can be changed. This would likely be an editor's decision.
- Sync - On the Article, this is unavailable. Synchronization is done via related assets. This is synchronizing the Title and/or Slug to the Article Assignment.
- Publication Info - This is part of the Budget information set based on the publication.
- Attached Asset - Clicking on the Magnifying Glass icon, will open the Article Asset into it's editing window.
- Assigned User - This can be changed by clicking on the Magnifying Glass icon. It links to your site's User Accounts.
- Assignment Status - This will change based on the workflow process. You cannot manually change it.
- Description - This is optional. The Assignment Editor could add a description or some notes about the assignment.
- Print - Clicking on the Print button will open the Assignment (not asset) into a print version to be printed to a local or network printer.
Open the Image asset assignment for proofing, editing, and adding the photos.